BEHIND THE BRAND: LISA SAYS GAH (And so do we…!)
- How did Lisa Says Gah come about?
I launched Lisa Says Gah in early 2015 after moving from Los Angeles to San Francisco. I started with an inspirational blog, now called “Look”. I then began reaching out to independent designers that were carving their own path. I took it a step further with interviews, to connect the consumer with the product. I started Lisa Says Gah because I wanted to create a space that went beyond just “shop” – I wanted a shop that used fashion to build a community of creative, insightful women. The point is that “Gah” is anything you want it to be. To me, it derives from interest and excitement of the unknown or undiscovered.
- If you could sum up your personal brand in 3 words, what would they be?
For women by women, thoughtful, beautiful
- What is the best piece of career advice you have ever received?
I like to source advice from OK REAL.
- Do you have any advice for all of the aspiring female entrepreneurs out there?
Here’s the truth: There is no secret hack to success. You simply need to do the work and see it through. You won’t do the work if you don’t love it, and you’ll hate the work if you’re just not that good at it, either. When you find something you love, it will come easy because you’re (surprise!) already good at it. For me, the road to success was working for other companies I loved for years before going off on my own. No success story is the same, but finding something you truly love, putting in the work and maintaining a good reputation are key.
Furthermore, warm up to rejection. It’s absolutely going to happen if you put yourself out there, whether it’s a job interview, a pay raise request, cold-calling or emailing, starting a business or sharing an idea. Rejection means you’re making moves, and with each rejection you learn and make tweaks. Each big win often comes with a handful of mini rejections that got you there
- Who are your current favourite artists and designers?
Some coming to LSG SS17 – Suzanne Rae, Botanica Workshop, Paloma Wool.
- We are obsessed with your instagram page…has social media played a role in the success of your business?
Absolutely! Our Instagram is now shoppable, which helps us keep our followers and customers informed on what’s new without sending lots of obnoxious newsletters to their inbox. Most people say they found us through Instagram, which I love because our feed represents LSG – it’s a mix of behind-the-scenes bits, new products, blog inspiration and quotes from our interviews. It’s also a place for us get feedback!
- Would you ever consider bringing one of your pop up shops down under?
If it wasn’t a logistical and tax nightmare, yes of course! 😉
- How would you describe your style?
Classic, easy, feminine, tomboy, minimal. That’s hard to answer. V LSG. (:
- If you could invest in one piece this year what would it be?
I’m eyeing this VEDA leather jacket. The belt is too good. It’s so classic and clean.
- Have you got any exciting new projects in the works for 2017?
Why yes… but I can’t say just yet. (: