It’s universally acknowledged that Winter is by far the hardest time of year to motivate yourself to work out, and yet this is the time of year when all of those delightful comfort foods are calling your name. The early morning chill, alarms chiming before the sun has even risen, not to mention rain, hail, storms…. Seriously?! How is a girl supposed to say yes to a sweat sesh when the alternative is that extra hour of doona time snuggled in with a nice hot cuppa.
There are ways to find a workout you love that will keep that Summer bod alive under all of those Winter layers. And if these hot tips are still not enough to help you brave the cold, there’s nothing like some fresh new threads to help get the ball rolling on your new cold-weather routine.
You may have located your mat on the beach during the Summer months for a quick stretch but nowadays your only moments of ‘zen’ happen when you’re waiting in line for a coffee. Now that things have cooled off there’s no need to let your little Yogi habit slide simply take things indoors and turn the heat up keep those limbs lean. Hot Yoga studios hold a temperature of 26 -30 degrees which is said to accelerate benefits by warming the muscles to the perfect temperature to optimise flexibility (hello Miranda Kerr-style bendy-skills!). One Hot Yoga has studios in Potts Point or South Yarra, alternatively Sydneysiders can book a mat at one of Body Mind Life ‘s handful of studios or Melbournians can find other options in Om Yoga.
1. MZ WALLACE QUILTED YOGA BAG $180.25
2. STELLA MCCARTNEY X ADIDAS SPORTS BRA $74
3. APL COTTON-TERRY HOODED TOP $339.98
4. B&O PLAY H2 LEATHER HEADPHONES $250.91
5. CHANTECAILLE ROSEWATER $50.91
6. APL ATHETIC PROPULSION LABS GAZELLE MESH PANELED STRETCH LEGGINGS $169.95
7. APL ATHLETIC PROPULSION LABS TECHLOOM PHANTOM 3D MESH SNEAKERS $266.11
If you are brave enough to face the great outdoors running is undoubtedly the easiest way to warm yourself up quickly and get in a convenient sweat sesh, but that first bite of chill can be the biggest hurdle. On the positive side this simply calls for a bit of extra outfit planning… which is what we do best! Throw on some light layers to ensure that you are dressed for any condition, a spray jacket will be your best friend at this time of year. To help keep things on track and the motivation bar set high, give yourself a goal to work towards by the end of Winter and keep track of your progress.
1. P.E. NATION SPORTS BRA $107.05
2. B&O PLAY EARPHONES $178.35
3. ADIDAS X STELLA MCCARTNEY PERFORMANCE JACKET $153
4. NIKE ZONED SCULPT RIBBED STRETCH JERSEY LEGGINGS $214.49
5. MIO SKINCARE WIPES $37.41
6. FITBIT CHARGE TWO $24.95
7. NIKE PRESTO SNEAKERS IN BLACK $164.00
It may seem counter intuitive but for those times that you can’t even gather the courage to get out the door look no further than your TV set to build that booty right in your living room. Barre is the perfect no fuss workout, combining all of the toning benefits of Pilates and the lovely lean-ing effect of Ballet all achieved in a small space.
Online classes and video tutorials are becoming more and more popular. The original and arguably best (if endorsements from the likes of Phoebe Tonkin, … and Victoria’s Secret Angel Lily Aldridge are anything to go by) is Ballet Beautiful.
Look to subscription services like Barre Body Online, Ballet beautiful (hot tip- this is celeb endoursed by many a Victorias Secret angel) and Xtend Barre.
1. CALVIN KLEIN BRA $45.24
2. CHLOE FAYE SMALL TEXTURED LEATHER AND SUEDE BACKPACK $2710
3. BKR NAKED GLASS WATER BOTTLE $50
4. STELLA MCCARTNEY LEGGINGS $62.30
5. THIS WORKS PERFECT BODY MUSCLE THERAPY $46.11
6. BERBER PRINTED YOGA MAT $119
7. GOLDEN GOOSE DELUXE BRAND SUPER STAR DISTRESSED CROC-EFFECT PANELED LEATHER SNEAKERS $485.57
IMAGERY VIA THE VAULT ONLINE PINTEREST
Feature by JESSICA EVA of THE EVE BLOG “A self-confessed shopaholic, magazine addict and interiors nerd forever in search of the perfect Soy latte.”